Newest post on top... click the archive for past adventures!

Monday, April 30, 2012

Coconuts, Mountains, Ponce and a Rum Sangria

Back to Fajardo and the rental car I go, to find it freshly side-swiped. No time to cry in my Medalla beer, I get on the road and head south now along the eastern coast of Puerto Rico toward more serene and less utilized beaches. At Playa Hucares I imagine Paul Kemp, Hunter Thompson’s fictional character in The Rum Diary, downing a rum and writing his stories for The Daily News of Puerto Rico. (This coconut-lined shore was a filming location for the recent Johnny Depp movie.)

Southward I go, hugging the curvy coastline under the shade of green velvety mountains. Soon I’m climbing through Maunabo and Patilla with their pretty cliff houses and sea view restaurants. The sun lowers toward dusk and the rosy sky turns the palms purple along the highway. The environment has changed on this stretch of the island, without sprawling cement malls and fast food drive-thrus, but instead lots of green between the occasional seafood café, Bed & Breakfast or elegant home. Here and there are earthy remnants of mossy wooden structures decaying in the tropical breeze. Shabby Chic is the coined name for the rustic and weathered look.

Waters of Youth
Early in the morning I meander into the hills again and find the therapeutic waters of Coamo. For only three dollars I can dip into the mythical fountain of youth right at the source. This public mini spa of sorts offers spacious dressing rooms and the cover of shade umbrellas. I slip into the sparkling waters alongside two elderly couples who laugh and joke, occasionally glancing over at me to give me a happy wink. A 60-something man from the country tries his English and soon we’re having language lessons in the hot pool. “Sombra – shade,” “piscina – pool,” and “salud – bless you” when he sneezes. I then enjoy a long cold shower, and before I drive to a lower elevation I do a quick drive through “Aibonita.” It is just as it appears. The Spaniards came, took a look and said “Ai! Bonita!” (wow, how pretty!)
In and Around Ponce
The express toll highway gets me into Ponce in no time, and to my surprise, it’s an easy entry. I quickly find a parking space for the rental car and tote my things to the vintage Hotel Belgica off the central Plaza Las Delicias where the Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe’s  spires provide a nice directional marker for the newby in town.
Ponce, La Ciudad Señorial or the Noble City, is known for its mountains and shade trees, cattle-raising, and sugarcane because of its fertile flatlands, and in the old days, maritime contraband because of its location on the Caribbean. Today, Ponce seems a well-rounded commercial hub with much more than just tourism to keep it going. The architecture is grand, and even the forlorn and crumbling back streets reveal an extraordinary past in every stately column and ornamental Victorian cornice.
The Hacienda Buena Vista coffee plantation is an historic site that sits just above Ponce in the fertile and shady hills. I decide to take a look, and am lucky to get a personal tour by Luz, the most sweet and knowledgeable guide. She takes me up the trail in the forest canopy, pointing out various plants along the way, to view the extensive water canal system built by slaves in 1853, when the coffee processing company was established. It is ingenious engineering, with filtration systems and tunnels and even a showy oxygenation shoot that creates fountain-like waterworks at the entrance to impress visitors and officials.

There is a coffee bean processing machine run by waterwheel, and a corn grinder that turns by hydraulic turbine. The Barker hydraulic system was made by the West Point Company in New York and this machine is the only remaining system of its kind. I watch, fascinated as the docent lets the water work its magic! Luz then takes me past the fermenting chocolate beans, which have a strange and pungent odor, to the restored residence where the family of the hacienda’s founder, Don Salvador de Vives, would spend their summers.


In Ponce Centro I meet Nelson, history expert at the Museo de la Historia de Ponce. Immediately we are engaged in a fun conversation that starts with the phenomenon of Puerto Rico being on its own independent tectonic plate with the deepest marine trench just to the north, and how that may very well contribute to the “Bermuda Triangle” effect that stumps ship captains and aeronautics experts to this day. We then continue on to other topics including Taino Chieftan smoking ceremonies that were thought to bring solutions from the spirits about everything from finding a plentiful food source, to healing sick tribe members. The museum is dazzling in its coverage of pre-Columbian to modern day history.
The most profound mural depicts the pre-United States influenced Puerto Rico, with hunger and joblessness, to the productive period of US-enabled building and engineering feats, and on to modern day over-consumption, Burger King sign apparent in the background. Nelson and I talk at length about the idea of progress, and saving a culture that’s slipping away. Nelson targets me as a “Natural Explorer” and I say “It takes one to know one!”
As I ready to check out of my wonderful Hotel Belgica room, Dolores the curious housekeeper introduces herself and inquires about my travels. She hopes to take her first plane ride to visit her son in Florida later this year. We wish each other “Buen suerte y viajes seguros!"
As I continue my journey westward, I begin to see signs I’m nearing the dry forest. This flatter and rockier coast of Puerto Rico is where there are several Nature Reserves with their scrub forests and mangrove islands. I hope to do some light hiking and take in some views. I drive along the narrow paved coast road that follows a gorgeous shoreline of rocky outcrops and pristine little bays. Soon I find the Reserve entrance, flanked by the prerequisite Burger King and McDonald's. Even inside the designated Bosque Guanica Reserve I compete with lines of cars pulled up to the sand, shoulder to shoulder. I decide to go with the flow, since my search for alone time in nature seems doomed, and stop at the high end Copamarina Resort for a cool beverage. Bikini-clad vacationers stroll the groomed shoreline under rows of manicured palm trees and curving cement walkways. I nurse my disappointment with a cool Rum Sangria.
In La Parguera, a seaside vacation village for locals and lazy expats, I succumb to the nightly show at the carnival-like waterfront. A Caribbean salsa band gets couples, toddlers and grandmas dancing in the street, and vendors sell their conch shells, plastic jewelry and pinchos, or kabobs. After the sun goes down I board the glass bottom boat to see the bioluminescence in the nearby bays. While loud Latin pop music blasts from speakers, families carrying ice creams line up along the boat’s rails. Motoring slowly through the darkness, past mangrove islands and lit-up fishing boats in the hot thick night feels like an adventure. Our boat stops in a little bay and two divers jump from the boat and splash into the sea. They swim under the boat’s glass, kick their feet and wave their arms to provide a lightshow. Soon we’re back at the dock and I’m ready for bed.  

Next, I’m off to the land of surf and expats on the western coast…