Newest post on top... click the archive for past adventures!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

In Hot Water at Ojo Caliente

Oh wow, I've found heaven on Earth. In spite of the 95 degree heat, I look forward to submerging myself in the hot pools of Ojo Caliente outside of Taos, New Mexico and soak my cares away. This soothing spot has a long curative history, and its lithium, iron, soda and arsenic waters bring back the faithful year after year.






I pull in to the pretty grounds, past the rental cottages and Artesian Restaurant, and park near the reception lobby. The graceful Southwest architecture blends in naturally with the setting of limestone cliffs and desert flora.














First I take a seat at the rustic Artesian Bar and order a fresh green salad with a fine white wine. The service and atmosphere are perfect. I enjoy conversation with several lunchers, some post-mineral springs dazed, and some still anxious to partake.




























Next, I move to the pool area, tip-toeing over the hot hot tiles, and immerse myself in the sweltering iron pool. As I adjust to the heat, I watch other spa-goers relax with books, or chat pool-side.
Near the mud-bath I meet Therese and Ali, Denver Colorado vacationers. They warmly engage me in conversation, and soon we're comparing notes on everything under the sun. We move our party to their quaint cottage and Therese makes yummy guacamole, while Ali helps me practice my Spanish. Soon it's time to return to Taos, so we recruit a passer-by to take our photo, and promise to keep in touch.

The springs of Ojo Caliente are on my list of favorite places.